Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Transplant Team


When I first planted the seeds, I was fully expecting nothing to happen. Did I rinse & dry the seeds correctly?  Did they somehow die in the cupboard?  Or maybe the cheap Christmas Tree Shop seed starter kit was faulty ? I just didn't know. SO I loaded up the little seed cups with 2-3 seeds instead of the ONE. cuz .... who knows ? & why not ? Well, as I've now learned, my process worked correctly, every seed took and birthed a seedling.  (I'm still shaking my head in disbelief.) 

 Now, we call in the transplant team.


Ah, life in an apartment. Yes, that is the kitchen sink & yes, that is a Daffy's bag laid out to catch the excess water & dirt. For all you non-New Yorkers, Daffy's is an amazing and my most FAVORITE  discount clothing store. I check into 2 separate location on my way to work just to see what new and exciting. It's like a TJ Maxx , also one of my favorites. 

I digress. 

Shout out to the folks at Sprainbrook Nursery  www.sprainbrook.com. The store & supplies were beautiful & plentiful.  I bought more seed started mix, 6 larger 6 cup cardboard pallets and 2 black plastic trays to catch the water.  I carefully & surgically separated out ONE seedling from each starter cup at a time. I tried to choose the "largest & strongest" seeding and carefully, delicately placed the chosen one.  One in each of the new 36 larger cardboard cups. 

The cheep Christmas Tree Shop starter kit did not hold up well, it all tore apart and was very weak from watering. I do not give it a good review.



What do I do with the left overs? 





The Choosen Ones 

They are being watched over by their protector, Louie.  
So far, so good, the cat hasn't eaten or trampled the seedlings.
But there's still time.


No comments:

Post a Comment